Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 61: Another New-ish Option for Kosher Lunch in Midtown!

I was really in the mood for something meat or chicken-y today. Often I order in when I want non-dairy, but since it is so hot and sunny out (what a change) I wanted to take advantage and actually get outside for lunch. So I made plans to meet my friend Emily for our weekly lunch date that doesn't always happen. We decided to check out Baguette Express, a relatively new sandwich place on 37th between 5th and 6th. The place is a tiny hole in the wall with no seating. You walk in and there is a counter in front of you with a brief and basic menu hanging above it. They do sandwiches. That's it. You pick your meat (or schnitzel or falafel), you pick your bread (looked like baguettes, whole wheat baguettes, and pita), you pick some salad toppings (of the Israeli variety - including grilled eggplant, fried onions, Israeli salad, olives, Israeli pickles etc) and some sauces / dressings, and then you take your sandwich and go. Emily ordered falafel in a pita. I had schnitzel on a whole wheat baguette (like that makes it healthy) with hummus, pickles, fried onions and BBQ sauce. We took our lunches out to Broadway and sat on the benches on the new pedestrian walkway. My sandwich was tasty. The BBQ sauce added a particularly good flavor. Of course, this was no Chickies, but for a local lunchtime chicken sandwich, pretty good. I would go back.

9 comments:

  1. this is one of the worst, if not the worst, blog i've discovered on the internet.
    all the best,
    your secret -the opposite of admirer-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another annoying anonymous person. Anonymous people are like dog poop on the sidewalk...so freaking annoying, and when you see it sitting there you want to beat up the owner for leaving it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shlomo b, if that is your real name. is that really a good example? i mean, in your example- if you see the dog poop "sitting there", why don't you walk around it? but this is just a distraction from the fact that this is the worst blog ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Not my legal name)

    Shlomo B.-
    I think the analogy should be that anonymous comments are like dog poop on the sidewalk. As is, you're saying you want to beat up the owner of the anonymous person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI, Kosher Deluxe (46th bet 5th and 6th) now also sells chicken subs (both fried and grilled). Figured you'd be interested in that info. Its not really close enough to you for lunch but maybe if you're around Midtown for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How were the prices here? Its across the street from me and I'm eager to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Z - I think I have tried one Kosher Deluxe chcicken sub and I thought it was pretty bad.

    S - I think it was about 10 bucks for the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SusQHB - If its across the street from you - why dont you just freaking WALK ACROSS THE STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went searching for this today after work and it was nowhere to be found. I knew they were closed but had hoped for some signage. Weird. Any idea the address?

    ReplyDelete