Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 89: NEW: A Chickies Substitute in Midtown??

Many readers wrote in to tell me about a new place opening up on 39th street, just off of Broadway, called Schnitzel Glatt Kosher Express (thanks D, Sus, and TorahMike). It just opened last week, so today I went to check it out with my friend Emily. The menu is mostly different flavors of schnitzel, that come on baguettes or wraps (regular or whole wheat), or I think in salads. There are different sauces to go with the chicken, as well as vegetables. What I liked was that they also had different flavors of grilled chicken sandwiches, which makes for a somewhat healthier lunch option. I ordered a teriyaki grilled chicken with BBQ sauce on a whole wheat baguette with pickles and lettuce. Emily ordered the greek chicken in a whole wheat wrap with pesto sauce. They restaurant is small but has a few tables and we had no trouble getting a place to sit. We had to wait a few minutes for the food to be ready, but when it came the portion sizes were definitely substantial. From the first bite, I really liked the flavor of the chicken. It was clearly fresh and had just the right amount of sauce to give a good taste without being overpowering. The whole sandwich was really delicious. Emily enjoyed hers too. The restaurant is a bit far from my office, but they do deliver (call 212 997 7770), and I am eager to try some of the other options on the menu. Readers, if you have been - let me know what you had and if you liked it.

Heads up kids - tomorrow is a Reader's Choice Day on the blog! Check back in the AM to vote for what I should eat for lunch!

4 comments:

  1. OMG! So psyched to try this place. My friend was scared to eat there since they didn't have any customers when we walked by. She wouldn't accept that it was cuz they just opened. Thanks for the update. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they open for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. but does it hold as near and dear a place to your heart as chickies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what your blog was intended for. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete