Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 68: Filter Fish

Visiting my parents over the weekend always means one thing: free leftovers. We had tons of food in the house and my mom packed me up with a goodie bag before I returned to the city. Today, I brought some gefilte fish to work. It was already sliced and cut into quarters because that is how my mother served it on Saturday. I really like gefilte fish - it is one of my favorite traditional Jewish foods. I know that it's considered to be a weird food by a lot of people. I once saw someone forced to eat gefilte fish as a challenge on a reality TV show, along with other cultural delicacies like cow stomach. Then again, my friend Joyce told me that there is a similar fried fish ball dish in the Chinese culture, so I guess its not only a Jewish thing. After the fish I ate strawberries and watermelon (leftover from yesterday's BBQ).

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    This lunch of yours that you ate today means 2 things:

    1) It is officially the first time I need to disapprove of your lunch.
    2) There is no way its ever going to work out between us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Are you denigrating my gefilte fish?

    (Rebecca's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he denigrated your fish AND your daughter. Hi Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fish and chips. This is brilliant! This is exactly what they ate in that tennis movie "match point"

    ReplyDelete