Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 27: Does soup count as a meal?

Today I went out to eat with a few coworkers. They asked me to choose the restaurant, since I needed a Kosher locale. I always feel a lot of pressure in this situation, because I am spending other people’s money and forcing them to eat certain foods (and NOT eat certain foods). So I try and choose a nice enough restaurant with modest enough prices to keep everyone happy on both counts. Today, I opted for Mendys. The Seinfeld angle (NOT the soup Nazi) gives this place a bit more stature than your typical no-name Kosher restaurant. In that honor, I ordered a soup and half-a-sandwich. I chose the chicken noodle soup (no matzah ball) and pastrami on rye. The soup wasn’t bad, but I wish I had requested no carrots. Why does everyone put so many carrots in chicken soup? I much prefer zucchini, parsnip and other veges. My pastrami sandwich was really good – the pastrami was soft and delicious. I also had a half sour pickle to finish off the meal. Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but what really matters is what my non-Kosher lunch eaters thought . . .

4 comments:

  1. Agreed. I think carrots are cheap and bulky, thats probably why they load them in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what did they think?!?! dont leave me hangen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You emphatically remind us that the Mendy's and soup Nazi Seinfeld episodes are different. Did one of your co-workers conflate the two? Did s/he also order a marble rye or chocolate babka? What a doofus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shlomo B. doesn't know what he's talking about. Carrots are actually expensive and thin. Mendy's puts them in there because they love their customers. God, Shlomo B., you really need to start eating out more. Like your hero, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete