Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 51: Cucumber Tuna Rolls

My grandfather, sister and I sat down in the sun drenched kitchen in my grandfather's North Carolina home to enjoy almost-matching sandwiches of tuna fish and cucumber slices on challah rolls. I personally opted for chunk light tuna and whole wheat, while Sara and Grandpa went for white tuna on regular bread. My grandfather has lots of little bags of Utz potato chips that he is given with his sandwich at the local Italian sub restaurant he frequents, so we each took a bag of chips to accompany our sandwich. I put my chips rights inside the tuna, but the wetness added by the cucumbers did not go so well with the crunch added by the chips. Next time I would probably skip the cucumbers, or eat them on the side. We fed the extra tuna to the cats. For dessert we compared the cherries I brought from NY to the ones my grandfather had bought locally. The Carolina version were a bit sweeter and more tart.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to be a true Southerner you should try some grits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sweet and tart are mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete